Montana is a Peacekeeper soldier with a heart of gold who basically just wants everyone to have fun. He’s by far the biggest character in Battleborn so far, and totes a gigantic mini-gun to match his massive frame. Montana’s slow and can’t really hide behind cover, but he can take a lot of damage, and he can dish plenty of it out with his gun (but be careful of overheating!). Montana’s ultimate ability is Mansformation, which allows him to choose a target and slam down onto them. Mansformation also turns Montana’s skin to metal, minimizing incoming damage.
Montana is available to play at the start of the game.
When he’s not clotheslining bears for fun, Montana can be found suppressing enemies with his fearsome minigun and soaking up industrial-sized buckets of hurt on behalf of his comrades. Self-appointed morale officer of the Battleborn and friend to all.
- Role: Defender
- Ian Sinclair, Montana's voice portrayal, also voices some characters, such as Baron Flynt, from the Borderlands series, and also the English voice role of Chuck from Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt.
- Montana tells the Wolf Sentry he going to a book club with Thorn when asked by the Sentry what he's doing after the events in Voids' Edge.
The hotter Montana's Minigun is, the more bonus damage it deals.
Dashes and collides with an enemy, dealing 200 damage and knocking them back. If the hit enemy hits an object or ally, that enemy is stunned for 1 second.
A truly fearsome weapon, the Minigun accumulates heat as it fires, increasing bonus damage dealt. Augments can increase or modify this effect.
Loads a specialized ammunition that slows enemies hit and uses less heat per shot. Also reduces damage taken by 30%.
Montana's remarkable size allows him to soak up a substantial amount of damage.
Unleashes a mighty stomp dealing 334 damage and knocking nearby enemies into the air. Montana takes reduced damage for 10 seconds after.
|Ammo To Burn||Rewarded at Character Rank 15|
|Inappropriate Gesture||Complete Lore Challenge "War is Bliss"|
|The Mantana||Randomly rewarded when opening UPR Loot Packs|
|Twinkle Toes||Randomly rewarded when opening UPR Loot Packs|
|Aplian Roulette||Marketplace purchase for 230 Platinum|
|Bigfoot||Rewarded at Character Rank 4|
|Skookum||Rewarded at Character Rank 8|
|Momo the Monster||Rewarded at Character Rank 11|
|Wendigo||Rewarded at Character Rank 14|
|Hibagon||Complete Challenge "Master of Montana"|
|Yeti||Randomly rewarded when opening UPR Loot Packs|
|Old Yellow Top||Randomly rewarded when opening UPR Loot Packs|
|Honey Island Swamp Monster||Pre-order bonus|
|Gone Plaid||Marketplace purchase for 1000 Platinum|
|Summer Vacation||Marketplace purchase for 700 Platinum|
|UPR C-723 "Mantana D-Luxe"||Marketplace purchase for 420 Platinum|
For the Character Lore, see Character Lore.
|No Charge For The Evaluation||Kill 50 enemies with Lumberjack Dash.|
|The Hearty Son of Aplia||Take 1,000,000 damage.|
|Fireside Sing-Along||Deal 15,000 Burning damage with Firestorm activated.|
|Everybody Just Calm Down||Slow 5 enemies concurrently with Hailstorm a total of 20 times.|
|War Is Bliss||Complete 3 matches with at least one other Peacekeeper on your team.|
|Level||SOAKIN’ IT UP||Mutators||DISHIN’ IT OUT|
|1||Go The Distance||Weather Man|
|Increases Lumberjack Dash's dash distance. + 50% Dash Distance||Increases Minigun accuracy while Hailstorm is active. +30% Accuracy|
|2||The Ol' One-Two||Lumberjack Blast||Push It Push It Push It|
|Montana knocks nearby enemies upward at the end of Lumberjack Dash.||Creates a shockwave at the end of Lumberjack Dash, knocking back enemies. +50% Damage distance.||Increases the knockback effect of Lumberjack Dash.|
|3||Pumped Up||Gatling Grease|
|Increases Montana's maximum health. +360 Health||Decreases Minigun spin-up time. -100% Spin-up Time|
|Minigun heat decreases with each shot fired while Hailstorm is active.||Your bullets burn enemies, adding bonus damage over time. Increases Minigun heat accumulation per shot fired when Hailstorm is active. +24 Damage Per Second.|
|Montana's health regeneration rate increases the lower his Minigun heat is. Up to +7 Health Regeneration per Second.||The hotter Montana's Minigun is, the more his accuracy increases. Up to +25% Accuracy.||Montana's health regeneration rate increases the higher his Minigun heat is. Up to +9 Health Regeneration per Second.|
|6||Swole Shield||Icicles||Feeling The Burn|
|Increases Montana's maximum shield strength. +240 Maximum Shield Strength.||Hailstorm bullets penetrate multiple targets.||Montana's Minigun no longer overheats. Every shot fired beyond maximum heat capacity damages Montana.|
|7||Ice Breaker||Barrel Cooling||Ice Age|
|Lumberjack Dash deals extra damage to enemies while Hailstorm is active. +25% Damage||Reduces the Minigun's rate of heat accumulation. -20% Heat Accumulation Rate.||Increases Hailstorm's skill duration. +2 Seconds Duration|
|8||Too Big To Fail||Krackadowww!|
|Reduces the cooldown of Lumberjack Dash, allowing more frequent usage. -25% Cooldown||Increases Lumberjack Dash's impact damage. +15% Damage|
|9||Bullet Buff||Icy Resolve||Perfect Storm|
|Intensifies Hailstorm's slowing effect, further reducing enemy movement speed. If Firestorm augment is active, its damage over time effects are lengthened.||Increases Hailstorm's damage reduction. +25% Damage Reduction.||Increases weapon damage while Hailstorm is active. +14% Damage|
|10||Big Payback||Instant Payback|
|Absorbs damage taken while Mansformation damage reduction is active. When Mansformation ends, an area of effect attack is unleashed after 3 seconds, returning absorbed damage to nearby enemies.||When Mansformation damage reduction is active, incoming enemy fire is reflected back at the attacker.|
- Additional Helix options that can be unlocked by leveling the respective character rank.
- A third option added to a pre-defined Helix choice.
- Maximum of 1 additional helix choice for each character Helix level
- They first show up ingame after they are unlocked for the individual character.
- 5 additional helix choices per character
- Ingame selection via:
- F (PC)
- Y (Xbox Controller)
- Triangle (PS4)
|Character Rank 7||Level 2||Lumberjack Blast|
|Requires character rank 7 to unlock = 470 total XP.||Creates a shockwave at the end of Lumberjack Dash, knocking back enemies. +50% Damage. Distance|
|Character Rank 9||Level 5||Focused Fire|
|Requires character rank 9 to unlock = 775 total XP||The hotter Montana's Minigun is, the more his accuracy increases. Up to +25% Accuracy.|
|Character Rank 3||Level 6||Icicles|
|Requires character rank 3 to unlock = 105 total XP||Hailstorm bullets penetrate multiple targets.|
|Character Rank 12||Level 7||Barrel Cooling|
|Requires character rank 12 to unlock = 1455 total XP||Reduces the Minigun's rate of heat accumulation. -20% Heat Accumulation Rate.|
|Character Rank 5||Level 9||Icy Resolve|
|Requires character rank 5 to unlock = 250 total XP||Increases Hailstorm's damage reduction. +25% Damage Reduction.|
This strategy guide was created to help players determine the best Gear and Helix choices for this Hero based on Game Mode type and Role. Contributors are encouraged to share their knowledge so that others may benefit from it.
Base Stats (level 1)
Max Stats (level 10)
Montana's Minigun - accumulates heat as it fires, increasing bonus damage dealt. This is a passive effect called Heatwave.
- Helix effects:
- Level 3 - R Reduce minigun spin-up time by 30%
- Mutation Level 7 (requires Char Rank 12 to unlock) Reduces the minigun's rate of heat accumulation by -20%
Hearty Constitution - Montana's remarkable size allows him to soak up a substantial amount of damage
- Helix Effects:
- Level 3 - L Increases maximum Health by +250
- Level 6 - L Increases maximum shield strength by +195 Shield.
Lumberjack Dash: Montana dashes and collides with an enemy, dealing 208-280 damage and knocking them back. If the hit enemy hits an object or ally, they are stunned for 1 second.
- Helix effects:
- Level 1 - L Increases Lumberjack Dash distance by 50%.
- Level 2 - L Knock up enemies at the end of Lumberjack Dash
- Level 2 - R Increases the knockback effect
- Level 7 - L Lumberjack Dash damage is increased by +25% while Hailstorm is active
- Level 8 - L Cooldown reduced by -25%
- Level 8 - R Increases impact damage by +15%
- Mutation: Level 2 (requires Char Rank 7 to unlock) Creates a shockwave at the end of Lumberjack Dash knocking enemies back an additional +50%
Hailstorm: Loads a specialized ammunition that slows enemies hit and uses less heat per shot. Also adds armor that reduces damage taken.
- Helix effects:
- Level 1 - R Increases Minigun accuracy while Hailstorm is active by 30%
- Level 4 - L Minigun heat decrease with each shot while Hailstorm is active
- Level 4 - R Minigun heat accumulates per shot while Hailstorm is active, granting bonus damage over time (+24 per second)
- Level 7 - R Increase skill duration by 2 seconds
- Level 9 - L Intensifies Hailstorm's slowing effect, further reducing enemy movement speed. If Firestorm augment is active, its damage over time effects are lengthened. (Firestorm is level 4 - R)
- Level 9 - R Weapon damage increased by +14% while Hailstorm is active
- Mutation Level 6 (requires Char Rank 3 to unlock) Hailstorm bullets penetrate multiple targets
- Mutation level 9 (requires Char Rank 5 to unlock) Increases Hailstorm's damage reduction by +25%.
Heatwave: Passive - The hotter Montana's Minigun is, the more bonus damage it deals.
- Helix Effects:
- Level 5 - L Lower heat causes increased health regeneration (good to combine with Hailstorm use)
- Level 5 - R Higher heat causes increased health regeneration
- Level 6 - R The minigun no longer overheats, but every shot fired while above maximum heat capacity damages Montana.
- Mutation Level 5 (requires Char Rank 9 to unlock) Increases accuracy up to an additional +25%.
- Legendary Gear effect - Slows Minigun Heat generation by X% when Heat exceeds X% (stats are procedurally generated). This is beneficial in that the Minigun will have a much higher chance to mis-fire if overheated. This gear slows the heating process.
Mansformation: Stomp the ground, dealing 525-750 damage and knocking up nearby enemies. Montana takes reduced damage for 8 seconds after.
- Helix Effects:
- Level 10 - R When Mansformation damage reduction is active, incoming enemy fire is reflected back at the attacker.
- Level 10 - L Absorbs damage taken while Mansformation damage reduction is active. When Mansformation ends, an area of effect attack is unleashed after 3 seconds, returning absorbed damage to nearby enemies.
- Fixed an issue with the effects of Firestorm tracers.